How to Apply: Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, October 31, 2018.
- Position type: Full time (up to 40 hours a week), non-exempt
- Pay: $19.23/hr – $20.53/hr
- Benefits: Health, vision and dental; 5 sick days, 12 paid holidays, 18 vacation days starting; ORCA Pass
- Reports to: Associate Director
About the Vietnamese Friendship Association (VFA)
VFA was born in the 1970s in the wake of the war in Vietnam. From our inception until our twenties, VFA centered on the notion of friendship and worked hard to build community and respond to short-term resettlement needs facing Vietnamese refugees in Seattle. As the Vietnamese community grew, so did we. In our thirties, we dedicated ourselves to civic engagement, early learning, and youth development in the Vietnamese community. Now, as we reach our forties, we reflect on our roots and look towards the future by drawing on our experiences to whole-heartedly serve the immigrant and refugee community who continue to bring new waves of hope and resilience.
In our new stage of growth, VFA intends to maintain our high-quality services while also building the collective power and voice of our community through organizing and systemic change. The Volunteer Coordinator will support this vision by serving as a front-facing ambassador in Project RISE (Refugee and Immigrant Student Empowerment), VFA’s flagship program that serves recently-arrived youth and families who collectively speak over 25 different language groups.
The Ideal Volunteer Coordinator
The primary focus of this position is to support the needs of refugee and immigrant youth and families through high-quality volunteer placements and coordination. The Volunteer Coordinator will work closely with the Associate Director and Community Engagement Manager ensure smooth and consistent operations of VFA’s volunteer program, which includes recruitment, onboarding, supervision, evaluation and appreciation. This position will exercise a high degree of independent decision-making and autonomy in regards to their daily interaction with volunteers.
Our Work Culture
We are highly dedicated to the important work of serving our community, and strive to foster a caring, supportive and flexible work environment. As a diverse and fun-loving team, we enjoy eating lunch together and celebrating birthdays. Our values are inclusivity, humility, equity, collaboration and commitment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinate volunteer efforts to support the needs of refugee and immigrant youth through school/community based programs that include 1) VFA’s Saturday School, 2) school- day support for teachers and 3) after school programming (70%)
- Organize and facilitate onboarding and orientation sessions for new volunteers. These sessions cover:background of VFA/Project RISE and SWS, SWS demographics, volunteer handbook, code of conduct, volunteer expectations, working with English language learners, a tour of the school, signing in and out, how to log hours, signing up for volunteer opportunities, evaluations, important contacts.
- Conduct and file background checks for volunteers and program instructors who have direct interaction with youth
- Manage placement and scheduling to match volunteer skills/experiences to needs and opportunities that support VFA’s mission
- Provide supervision and ongoing support to volunteers, including communications (e.g., emails, front desk), troubleshooting (scheduling conflicts, volunteer placement, code of conduct), and identifying appropriate training and opportunities
- Schedule and supervise a team of volunteers during VFA’s Saturday School program to ensure smooth and consistent operations of the program
- Attend meetings in order to be informed of current school, community, student, family and organizational needs.
- Cultivate relationships with VFA’s community of supporters, including school and community partners
Provide oversight and management of VFA’s volunteer program (30%)
- Provide ongoing evaluations on the effectiveness of the volunteer program and recommend/implement improvements as necessary
- Ensure volunteer program policies and practices are in compliance with Seattle Public Schools, the City of Seattle, and other funders/partners
- Complete service-learning evaluations, including attendance tracking and performance, for the University of Washington, Seattle University, Bellevue Colleges and other external partners as required
- Ensure quality and accuracy of VFA’s donor and volunteer Frontstream database, which is used to track campaigns, event activity and resources raised…in addition to external databases with the University of Washington, Seattle University, and Seattle Public Schools.
- Work with the VFA team to adapt and align the volunteer program to meet evolving VFA and community needs
The Ideal Candidate:
Required (needs to have on day one)
- A passion for the mission, vision and values of VFA.
- Must be able to work during VFA’s Saturday School program. Approximately 20-22 Saturdays between October and May from 8:30-1:30, with flexibility Monday to Friday for hours off.
- Demonstrated experience, training or competencies at least one of the following areas: refugee and immigrant populations, social justice, racial equity.
- Communication skills to work with a large number of diverse individuals and perspectives
- Organization skills to process and manage a large number of volunteer records, schedules, and data
- Both a self starter who can work independently and a team player who can work in an open office environment with other school and community partners.
Preferred (i.e., VFA will provide support so you can gain skills, proficiency and experience along the way)
- Multilingual. If you have competencies in another language, please make that clear on your resume/cover letter. Priority languages include, but are not limited to, Spanish, Tigrinya, Maya-Quiche, Amharic, Somali
- Experience in youth development and education
- Experience in volunteer or program coordination
Anticipated Hiring Timeline
- October 15th: Post job announcement
- October 31st: Job posting closes
- November 13-17: Interviews
- Dec 3: Ideal start date